There was a time when Greg Scruggs didn’t want anything to do with football.
“Drumming was my thing,” the Seahawks defensive end told Seahawks.com during his rookie year of his days in the marching band at Cincinnati’s St. Xavier high school. “I had been doing it since I was 10 years old, and I was good at it. I was more popular than the football players because of my drumming.”
But what Scruggs did want was a scholarship to college. He realized his size and athleticism could get him there, so he played football his senior year at St. Xavier and earned a scholarship to play at Louisville. From there, he was drafted in the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Seahawks.
“Once I started playing football – I can’t get away from this stuff,” Scruggs said. “I’m having too much fun.”
Scruggs’ musical background makes him our choice to lead off this week’s “Pregame Playlist” ahead of Sunday’s Super Bowl XLVIII rematch with the Denver Broncos at CenturyLink Field.
Below, check out what songs get Scruggs – and several of his teammates -going on gameday.
(Warning: Tracks May Contain Explicit Lyrics)
Seahawks vs Denver Broncos: Pregame Playlist
1. Greg Scruggs: My Love (Oliver Nelson Remix) – Route 94, Jess Glynne
2. Greg Scruggs: Black Widow – Iggy Azalea, Rita Ora
3. Doug Baldwin: 0 To 100 – Drake
Kevin Pierre-Louis admitted he goes with the flow on gameday, grooving to whatever’s already playing in the Seahawks locker room. But the rookie linebacker did say Kendrick Lamar was a constant in his rotation, so we included a couple of Lamar’s more-popular hits that have been mentioned in our previous playlists.
4. Kevin Pierre-Louis: Money Trees – Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock
5. Kevin Pierre-Louis: Poetic Justice – Kendrick Lamar, Drake
Defensive end Cliff Avril said “nothing’s changed” this week when it comes to what song gets him going on gameday, alluding to Rick Ross’ Hold Me Back – the track that often booms between quarters and during timeouts at Seattle’s CenturyLink Field. But before the on-field action starts, Avril said he likes to “keep it chill,” dialing up Spotify’s R&B station and “letting that ride.” After Ross’ Hold Me Back, we let it ride in Avril’s honor with the next three “Pregame Playlist” tracks coming straight off shuffle on Spotify R&B radio.
6. Cliff Avril: Hold Me Back – Rick Ross
7. Cliff Avril: Homecoming – Kanye West
8. Cliff Avril: Roll Up – Wiz Khalifa
9. Cliff Avril: Run This Town – Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West
And as promised each week, we’ll feature “Bonus Tracks” from a member of the Seahawks front office. This week’s premiums come from Seahawks Communications Manager Rich Gonzales, who likes to make his gameday drive from Kirkland to CenturyLink Field with these West Coast rappers:
10. Rich Gonzales: 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted – 2Pac, Snoop Dogg
11. Rich Gonzales: Tell Me When To Go – E-40, feat. Keak Da Sneak
12. Rich Gonzales: Blow The Whistle – Too $hort
Article originally published at Seahawks.com.